Self Improvement Plan: Write it Down – and READ IT!

By now, most people are aware of the fact that writing down your goals is a powerful success tip in order to actually achieve them. However, do you know why you are supposed to do that, or in what manner it will be most effective?

The basic reason why you want to write down your goals is because it will have several useful side effects:

  • It will cause you to get very specific about what you want to accomplish, rather than just having a "vague idea".
  • By keeping your written down goals somewhere that you will see them on a regular basis, you will be continually reminded of what you should be focusing on each day.
  • By writing down your goals, you make them more "real," as opposed to simply keeping the thoughts in your head where neither you nor anyone else is ever actually exposed to them out in the 3-dimensional world.
  • You will be able to use your written down goals in order to "reprogram" yourself for success.

Write down your goals using Achieve-It!In a nutshell, by writing down your goals, you make them an actual part of your existence, both in the physical world, as well as having them be a part of your daily mental processes.

It is very easy with today's hustle and bustle lifestyle to allow your goals to slip from your conscious mind as you get caught up in the hectic day-to-day tasks of simply running your life. However, if you allow that to happen, then weeks, months, and years end up slipping by while you "tended to your life," yet your goals are no closer now than they were before.

Okay, so you're sold on the fact that writing down your goals is a good part of a solid self improvement plan. Now, what is the next step to ensure that you get the most out of doing so?

Write down your goals in the form of a document, not a list!

We have all been "listed" almost to the point of brainwashing, especially if you have been hanging around the self improvement or personal development circles for any length of time.

Don't just say, "I want to accomplish _____________ ."

Who doesn't? Everyone wants to accomplish one goal or another. Just writing down some random goal does not empower you to actually accomplish it. However, by writing down your goal as part of an empowering and very personal document, you can give it strength by making it an actual part of your plan, rather than it just being some words on a page somewhere.

As regular readers of this blog will attest to, I do not have a problem with sharing my own personal details as part of my "lead by example" mentality. On that note, if you wish to see my own rendition of the concept described above, here is a Microsoft Word version of the document that I created for myself some time ago: Aaron's Statement of Success

READ your goal document at least 2 times every day!

Many people drop the ball on this part of the equation, and I dare say that it is one of the reasons why their goals never come to fruition.

People believe that once they have written down their goals and then read over them a few times, that they have committed the details to memory, so why take the time to keep reading them every day?

Here is why: You are not programming your conscious mind for success, but rather your subconscious mind!

Depending on who you ask, the average person's life is only controlled between 5% to 10% of the time by their conscious thoughts. The other 90% to 95% of our lives are controlled by the beliefs and processes that make up our subconscious awareness.

So, if you have a goal of losing weight (for example), and you only think about it 5% to 10% of the time, yet your subconscious mind is telling you the other 90% to 95% of the time that you're fat, you don't have the resources or the knowledge to lose weight, you don't have what it takes, blah, blah, blah… Can you see where the subconscious mind will always win out?

90% beats 10% every time!

This same concept can be applied to any goal that you can imagine, and you can probably recognize where your own life has followed this pattern at least once or twice. You wanted with all of your heart to accomplish something, yet no matter how hard you tried and no matter how much you consciously believed that you would have success, it still never ended up happening.

That is the power of the subconscious mind, and it will win out over your conscious thoughts every single time, no matter how intensely you consciously desire something. 

You can beat your subconscious mind at its own game by reading your goal document at least twice per day!

You can read it as often as you like with no ill effects, but if you truly want to make the most of this process, read your document at two very specific times every single day of your life:

As soon as you wake up, and right before you go to sleep.

During those periods of time, your subconscious mind is most receptive to the commands that you give it, and in addition, your own "conscious defenses" are at a minimal level of strength.

As soon as you wake up and again right before you fall asleep, your conscious mind has either not yet regained full control after your sleep cycle, or it is starting to lose control as you get closer to your next sleep cycle.

During these times, you can "sucker punch" your subconscious mind by planting commands when your conscious mind is not able to undo those commands by resubmitting a self-limiting belief that contradicts your positive goal setting statements.  

The bottom line? This system works. Even if you don't believe me, it doesn't cost a dime to give it a shot, so what have you got to lose?

Try it for 30 days straight, every morning and every night, and I promise you that the results will speak for themselves!

Related Articles

Powered By BlogPressStart Your Own Blog In Under A Minute...